#1 Free Forum Host

Turn off word censor 

fDollar: 12 | Donate
Post Turn off word censor
Hi.
I just recently noticed that the board is censoring posts.
I know about the special word feature, but I'm talking about the one that censors everyday swear words.
I can't find a setting.

Thanks,

Joe

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:41 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

fDollar: 3081 | Donate
Post Re: Turn off word censor
Hi Joe,

I'm not sure about that one, let me check with our team and I'll reply later :)

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:54 pm

fDollar: 94 | Donate

:roll:

http://irishnativebirds.freeforums.org/

Last edited by PAUL23 on Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:32 pm

fDollar: 40 | Donate
Just started happening on my forum, all swear words are being censored and replaced by asterisks. None of these words are set in Word censoring, they are being censored automatically.

Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:46 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

As you may have noticed, we have started to filter certain questionable words from appearing in posts. We are also begin to filtering adult images. The words and content are still posted, but they are filtered from view. There are a couple of reasons why the filters are in place.

1) The Terms of Service do not allow for for obscene and vulgar language or content. To help insure no one is offended by the language, we are inserting "***" so the meaning is conveyed with the use of the actual words. If a post contains too many vulgar or hateful words/images, it will likely trigger the entire post to be removed.

2) The other reason for implementing the filters, being perfectly honest, is financial. Advertisers do not allow their ads to appear next to content that is deemed obscene or vulgar. And to help insure the content is eligible for advertising, we are filtering the words and images.

Alternatives to see unfiltered content:

If the board elects to pay for an ad free site, then content will not be filtered
In the next couple of weeks, we will add an option to allow boards that elect to have ad-free, also elect to only see filtered content.

Thank you for understanding the need to provide a safe environment for members and for advertisers.

Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:52 pm

fDollar: 517 | Donate

Sounds reasonable to me.
However, can it be implemented in such a way that admins can have access to the unfiltered version through the Administrator Control Panel?

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:18 pm

fDollar: 40 | Donate
Sorry, I disagree. It isn't just obscene language that's being censored, even the word sex is being turned into asterisks, which is ridiculous. It's also messing up the quoting function by removing the [/quote] when a censored post is quoted.

Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:04 pm

I agree with Yuri. If the word sex is being filtered that is WAY over the top. If you are going to force censorship at least be reasonable.

Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:15 pm

fDollar: 337 | Donate

Have to agree, I have never heard of sex being a swear word, censoring it is over the top, you might as well censor pants if your going to that extreme !

I fully agree and support obscene language and image censorship but keep it sensible!

Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:58 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

If I'm not mistaken, a standard word filter is being used.

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:52 pm

Chris, can it be implemented in such a way that admins can have access to the unfiltered version through the Administrator Control Panel?

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:58 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

You won't need to go to the admin panel. A change was made by our team so that admins and moderators will see the unfiltered versions. I am not sure if that change is already in effect or not. If not, it's coming.

I'm going to put a bad word here, not because I'm swearing at you, but because I'm testing something :)

Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:09 pm

fDollar: 83 | Donate

Chrisw wrote:
As you may have noticed, we have started to filter certain questionable words from appearing in posts. We are also begin to filtering adult images. The words and content are still posted, but they are filtered from view. There are a couple of reasons why the filters are in place.

[... etc. ...]

Hi Chris,
Wouldn't it be advisable to make a mention of this new feature both here on the Support forum under 'Announcements' and on the FF FaceBook page? This may save you a lot of questions here...
(just a suggestion, I don't want to interfere in your way of working though).

P.S.:
I also noted in another topic that the data extraction from the image and attachment server should have been completed yesterday and that next week the re-insertion will start.
This would also form a splendid good-news update under 'Annoucements', I think.

Anyway, I appreciate your info.

Emmy

Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:01 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Emmy,

I am planning on announcing it, but I'm waiting until it's fully implemented (e.g. filtered words seen in full by admins, forums paying for ad-removal can opt out, etc...). I don't want to announce it yet until it's fully implemented.

Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:10 pm

Hi Chris,
One of the members of our board just reported that a certain word used in one of the postings had been replaced with asterisks and she wondered what happened. I myself had not yet noticed this, due to my Site Adm function.
So, I explained in a few words that FF is busy implementing a word and picture filter.

But... this censored Dutch word is a totally normal and frequently used word, not at all questionable: a conjugation of the Dutch verb 'kunnen' (or 'can' in English).
The exact wording is 'kunt' as in 'je kunt toch gebruik maken van...' for example.
Translated: 'You can make use of ...'.

You mentioned that for this word censoring a standard word filter is being used. Is such a list available in every language (e.g. for our board in Dutch)? I can't imagine that this word would be included in a Dutch filtering list for questionable terms. Or does this word have a total different meaning in another language?

Anyway, is there a way for us to check which words are on the filter list?

Looking forward to your comment,
Emmy

Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Emmy, with Dutch being my native language, I can confirm that kunt is a perfectly legit word :)

Ge kunt je dat wel voorstellen :)

There will be filters for the different languages, but they are not implemented yet.

Is kunt being filtered on your board?

Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:51 pm

Yep!
It's being reported by one of our users in this posting: http://dedigitaleboekenkast.freeforums. ... tml#p69472
(I don't know if you can view it, though, because it is in a forum section only for a special member group).

BTW: the word 'kunt' is not being filtered here on this board, so I assume the filtering is language-dependent.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, it's not language dependent, at least not in *that* way. The reason why it's not being filtered here is because we have different code here.

The problem is that I can't see that topic because it's private. I can log in but only with an admin account, and my account sees the unfiltered version.

I tested on both my test boards, but I don;t see anything filtered there yet, English or Dutch, and boy did I ever use bad words!! I'll wait until tomorrow on this, one of our programmers has a board that I can use, but he's sleeping at the moment. Stay tuned.

Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:42 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok I was able to test this. I've reported it to the person who has been working on the filter.

Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:00 am

Hi Chris, another thing has been brought to my attention, which concerns a certain posting of which the second half seems to be completely garbled for 'normal' users, but for me as moderator/Site Adm fully readable.

I think it best to send you an email with screenshots of the text as seen by regular users, where I highlight the irregularity, as well as the text like I see it, complete with the link of the posting.

Would this be a good idea?

Emmy

Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:37 am
Profile WWW

In the meantime I sent you two emails with screenshots, Chris.
As far as a single censored word is concerned (even when unjustly marked as abusive or inappropriate) it's not such a big deal yet. From the text context you can derive the meaning and if not, it is possible for users to read the uncensored text when using the QUOTE function. This does not mean that this unnecessary and unsolicitated censoring is acceptable, of course :).
But when half (or more) of a posting is completely garbled, it's an entirely different matter. In this way part of our board will be unreadable for most users.
Kindly discuss this with your Tech Staff and revert back as soon as possible.

Thanks a lot,
Emmy

P.S.:
The second email is about a posting made on Sunday 22nd Jan. and could be read just fine at the time by all users. Then the poster (my brother-in-law :)) went for a short holiday, returned yesterday, noticed that the text was completely messed up and tried to repost it, however with the same result. Former postings in the same topic have not (yet) been affected though. I don't now when the word censoring started to be implemented and if it is working backwards in time for a 'review' of all former postings???

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:56 am
Profile WWW

Another observation, Chris.
In our function of moderator/Site Adm. we do not know when a word or text is being censored (justly or injustly) because we see the uncensored message. This means that we are dependent on reports from our regular users.
Because the final implementation has not yet been completed: would it be possible that Mods/Site Adm. WILL see the uncensored message but that the censored wording or text is marked somehow, so that our attention is drawn to it and we can spot it at an early stage? In this way questionable or unjust censoring can be reported back to you for further investigation and filter adaptation, if necessary.

Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:24 am
Profile WWW

fDollar: 5 | Donate
Chrisw wrote:
Thank you for understanding the need to provide a safe environment for members and for advertisers.

No I do not understand. There is a reason that the users themselves could turn the word censorship off.

And users can write obscene post without the use of swear words.

Perhaps I come from a culture that differs from the place that the forum is based. But the ability for an individual to express oneself, in public or i private without the fear of persecution or censorship. (AKA 'Freedom of speech') Is something that is very important where I come from.

I think ill just have to pay for the add free version. But that is besides this point. For this smells like a cash grab more then protecting advertisers or members.

Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:50 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
But when half (or more) of a posting is completely garbled, it's an entirely different matter. In this way part of our board will be unreadable for most users.

Are there more words other than "kunt" that are being filtered?
I think I explained in my email that we can likely make some adjustments. If it is only kunt that is filtered, I would suggest until we make amendments that members use a work around. For example, je kan instead of ge kunt. But, again, our team will look into this. Just give them a little time.

Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:45 pm

Hi Chris,

As far as I've been informed, the only word filtered at the moment is 'kunt' as in 'je kunt'..., so if a small adjustment could be made in the filtering, that would be great.

But the other problem, about largely garbled and messed-up messages, of which I sent you two emails with screenshot examples, is this also related to the recently introduced censoring filter or is this caused by something else?
Because similar like Mods/Site Adm see 'uncensored' postings contrary to regular users, the phenomenon of garbled and messed-up postings is also only visible to regular users and not to Mods/Site Adm.

Looking forward to your comment.
Emmy

Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:24 am
Profile WWW