#1 Free Forum Host

[phpBB3 Tutorial] Avatars 

fDollar: 3913 | Donate

Post [phpBB3 Tutorial] Avatars
Hello once again,

This phpBB3 Tutorial will include two tutorials.
The first one is for the administrators of the board, How to enable avatars for their users.
The second one is for everyone in general on how to set your own avatar.

[phpBB3 Tutorial] Enabling Avatars
Remember: This is for Administrators only!

1 - Go to your Board Index

2 - Go to your Administrators Control Panel (ACP) by clicking so on the link at the bottom of the page.

3 - You're asked to re-authenticate yourself, please do so.

4 - Click on Proceed to the ACP or wait till you get redirected automaticely.

5 - You're now in the GENERAL Tab, and on the left hand side you see a vertical menu, including Board Configuration, with as 4th Option Avatar Settings, Please click on it.

6 - You now get a new page, with 5 options, I will go through all of them and explain what they mean and what they do.

7 - Galary Avatars: There will be a pre-installed pack of avatars, chosen and picked by FreeForums.org where the users can choose from. If you go Advanced you're able to pick and choose your own gallary avatars.

8 - Enable Remote Avatars: If set to "yes", it allows the users to insert a link to the image they want to have as an avatar. This link is to another side.

9 - Enable Avatar Uploading: If set to "yes", it allows users to upload images from their machine to your FTP. They won't get access to your FTP, it's an auto-upload feature.[/i\

10 - Minimum Avatar Dimensions: The minimum length (Height and Width) an Avatar has to be, otherwise it won't be displayed. [i]* The length is in pixels (px) *

11 - Maximum Avatar Dimensions: The maximum length (Height and Width) an Avatar has to be, otherwise it won't be displayed. * The length is in pixels (px) *

12 - Edit the fields like you want them, then press Submit.

13 - You've now allowed your users to have Avatars or not.

[phpBB3 Tutorial] Your Own Avatar

1 - Go to the Board Index.

2 - Go to the User Control Panel (UCP) by clicking on the link, the place of this link variets from Style to Style, but mostlikely is in the main navigation.

3 - You will get a new page with on the left hand side a vertical menu with several 'tabs', "Overview" will be opened when you log in to your UCP, but the second tab is called "Profile", click on it. It will open then you have to click on "Edit Avatar", click on it.

! THE FOLLOWING DEPENDS IF THE BOARD ADMINISTRATOR ALLOWED IT OR NOT !

4 - A new page is opened, the first thing is: "Current Image". It shows your current Image, if you don't have one yet, its a grey block with a cross through it. The maximum and minimum dimensions are given under "Currenty Image" to, same for the Maximum Filesize.

5 - If you do have one already but you want to remove it, you can check the field under your current Avatar that says "Delete image" then press Submit

6 - Upload from your Machine: You can choose an image and upload it to the board's FTP.

7 - Link off-site: Here you can insert the link to an image already on the internet, which you like to have as an avatar.
If "Upload from your machine" isn't enabled, but "link off-site" is you can upload your image from your machine to any free image hoster and post the link in here.

8 - Avatar Dimensions: You can resize the current avatar, or the one you're about to add. You need to fill in the width x height giving in pixels (px). Leave it 0 x 0 to leave the size as it originaly was.

9 - Then you see a button: [Display Gallary] press it and you see the pre-installed avatars you can choose from, if you don't got an avatar of your own.

10 - If you've filt it in the way you want it, press Submit.

11 - You've now succesfully edited/added your own avatar!

Hope this helps alot of users.
If you have any questions/add's/extra's please tell me.

Regards

FreeForums.org's Advanced Hosting // Have the ability to install your own Mods and Styles!
FreeForums.org's Knowledge Base // Find all your answers (Please use before posting)!
FreeForums.org's phpBB3 Tutorials // Find all your answers (Please use before posting)!

Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:32 am
Profile WWW

fDollar: 25 | Donate
are the admins allowed to upload avatars to make a avatar gallery?

"9 - Enable Avatar Uploading: If set to "yes", it allows users to upload images from their machine to your FTP. They won't get access to your FTP, it's an auto-upload feature."

Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:33 am
Profile WWW

Im not sure about that, I've had already a chat about this with Stormwench but currently it's not able yet. But Stormwench thought FreeForums is going to install several packs of avatars where they can choose from, And you can upload the avatars yourself if you go advanced

btw you quoted the wrong line :D

FreeForums.org's Advanced Hosting // Have the ability to install your own Mods and Styles!
FreeForums.org's Knowledge Base // Find all your answers (Please use before posting)!
FreeForums.org's phpBB3 Tutorials // Find all your answers (Please use before posting)!

Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:35 am
Profile WWW

fDollar: 25 | Donate
ok i hope they will add avatars for all kind of forums.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:55 am
Profile WWW

fDollar: 6 | Donate
ok, i did all of that, now it says 'The entered path “images/avatars/galleryâ€

Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:30 am

Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:13 am
Profile WWW

I followed the tutorial and I'm still getting the X in a grey box. Min size is set to 20x20, max is 160x160, and Enable avatar uploading is set to 'yes'. I've tried uploading from my computer and giving it a URL - any thoughts?

Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:54 pm

fDollar: 118 | Donate
Upload the Av to an image host and link to it there. Upload from your desktop is just buggy.

www.menagerierpg.com

Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:20 pm

I tried that - as well as adding the dimensions. Still can't get it to work.
(as you can see, I can upload on this board no problem)

*edit
Turns out the "enable avatar uploading" wasn't working, I enabled "Enable remote avatars:" and that's the only option that works ATM. Still can't upload from the computer, or upload to the FTP via remote link.

Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:40 pm

I tried that - as well as adding the dimensions. Still can't get it to work.
(as you can see, I can upload on this board no problem)

*edit
Turns out the "enable avatar uploading" wasn't working, I enabled "Enable remote avatars:" and that's the only option that works ATM. Still can't upload from the computer, or upload to the FTP via remote link.

I can confirm this - only the remote avatar function works. Do I need to upgrade to advanced to be able to use the other features?

Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:26 am

My users are always asking me to find them avatars and post them. Can I still do this as admin? I can't figure out how to do it...

Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:53 am

You need to use the Remote Avatar option in their profiles, when in the ACP » Manage Users » Avatars.

Regards

Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:09 pm
Profile WWW

fDollar: 1 | Donate
Post Re: [phpBB3 Tutorial] Avatars
po$eydoNNN* wrote:
Hello once again,

This phpBB3 Tutorial will include two tutorials.
The first one is for the administrators of the board, How to enable avatars for their users.
The second one is for everyone in general on how to set your own avatar.

[phpBB3 Tutorial] Enabling Avatars
Remember: This is for Administrators only!

1 - Go to your Board Index

2 - Go to your Administrators Control Panel (ACP) by clicking so on the link at the bottom of the page.

3 - You're asked to re-authenticate yourself, please do so.

4 - Click on Proceed to the ACP or wait till you get redirected automaticely.

5 - You're now in the GENERAL Tab, and on the left hand side you see a vertical menu, including Board Configuration, with as 4th Option Avatar Settings, Please click on it.

6 - You now get a new page, with 5 options, I will go through all of them and explain what they mean and what they do.

7 - Galary Avatars: There will be a pre-installed pack of avatars, chosen and picked by FreeForums.org where the users can choose from. If you go Advanced you're able to pick and choose your own gallary avatars.

8 - Enable Remote Avatars: If set to "yes", it allows the users to insert a link to the image they want to have as an avatar. This link is to another side.

9 - Enable Avatar Uploading: If set to "yes", it allows users to upload images from their machine to your FTP. They won't get access to your FTP, it's an auto-upload feature.[/i\

10 - Minimum Avatar Dimensions: The minimum length (Height and Width) an Avatar has to be, otherwise it won't be displayed. [i]* The length is in pixels (px) *

11 - Maximum Avatar Dimensions: The maximum length (Height and Width) an Avatar has to be, otherwise it won't be displayed. * The length is in pixels (px) *

12 - Edit the fields like you want them, then press Submit.

13 - You've now allowed your users to have Avatars or not.

[phpBB3 Tutorial] Your Own Avatar

1 - Go to the Board Index.

2 - Go to the User Control Panel (UCP) by clicking on the link, the place of this link variets from Style to Style, but mostlikely is in the main navigation.

3 - You will get a new page with on the left hand side a vertical menu with several 'tabs', "Overview" will be opened when you log in to your UCP, but the second tab is called "Profile", click on it. It will open then you have to click on "Edit Avatar", click on it.

! THE FOLLOWING DEPENDS IF THE BOARD ADMINISTRATOR ALLOWED IT OR NOT !

4 - A new page is opened, the first thing is: "Current Image". It shows your current Image, if you don't have one yet, its a grey block with a cross through it. The maximum and minimum dimensions are given under "Currenty Image" to, same for the Maximum Filesize.

5 - If you do have one already but you want to remove it, you can check the field under your current Avatar that says "Delete image" then press Submit

6 - Upload from your Machine: You can choose an image and upload it to the board's FTP.

7 - Link off-site: Here you can insert the link to an image already on the internet, which you like to have as an avatar.
If "Upload from your machine" isn't enabled, but "link off-site" is you can upload your image from your machine to any free image hoster and post the link in here.

8 - Avatar Dimensions: You can resize the current avatar, or the one you're about to add. You need to fill in the width x height giving in pixels (px). Leave it 0 x 0 to leave the size as it originaly was.

9 - Then you see a button: [Display Gallary] press it and you see the pre-installed avatars you can choose from, if you don't got an avatar of your own.

10 - If you've filt it in the way you want it, press Submit.

11 - You've now succesfully edited/added your own avatar!

Hope this helps alot of users.
If you have any questions/add's/extra's please tell me.

Regards

WOW, I didn't know how to add an avatar before.....

Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:47 pm

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:19 pm

fDollar: 4 | Donate
I do not get a "5th Option" to display gallery avatars on my forum so I cannot assign. Please help. Thanks.

Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:59 pm

fDollar: 3 | Donate
Upload the Av to an image host and link to it there. Upload from your desktop is just buggy.

lol, i don't understand alot of what i gotta read to figure out what i aint doing right. but the one thing i do understand is how to get an avatar set up from my own computer (saving and resizing a pic and all that mess to make it work right)...how it could be buggy is beyond me. again. :( :shock: :lol: :D uploading to an image host is more buggy to me than the from my own computer. :!: :shock: :D :(

(for some reason what ya said struck me as funny. but then it could be the headache i've had all week making me loopy. again.)

Thanks for the avatar gallery! was hoping ya'll would get to that and put a working one in, esp. if it works in my own. aint sure cause i aint even sure i understood most of the tutorial anyway, but will get it figured one way or the other. So thanks!!!!!

Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:10 pm
Profile WWW
Valued Contributor

The avatar galleries are not yet implemented, so that option really should be turned off although it only shown in the AVP profile and not in the UCP.

The gallery maybe implemented at some future date.

I would prefer that your support issue be posted on the support forum for quicker response.
*** FreeForums.org phpBB3 Tutorials ***
[1] Basic Permissions -- [7] Custom BBCodes ------ [13] Change Language
[2] Uploading a Logo --- [8] Online/Offline Status - [14] Counter
[3] Avatars ------------- [9] Who is Online ---------- [15] iPortal
[4] Making a Catogory - [10] Deleting an Account -- [16] Parking Domain Name
[5] Making a Forum ---- [11] Forum Images -------- [17] Quick Reply
[6] Ajax Chat----------- [12] Colored Name -------- [18] Utility Box

Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:42 am

fDollar: 3 | Donate
thanks storm. I really hope ya'll get it implemented. I've seen it at a few other forums and it looks to be a cool idea, especially if the 'owners' could select their own avatars to put in the gallery.

Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:59 am
Profile WWW

I have a question about avatars and users. Is there a way to have the forum show in the avatar/username area the group(s) that someone belongs to?

Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:45 am

Post Avatars
I have a problem with my Forum.
I can't enable avatars.
I've looked for an explantion, but I can't find it.
Can somebody teel me how to enable avatars?

Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:46 am
Valued Contributor

fDollar: 432 | Donate

Log into your administration control panel, switch to the advanced ACP and look for avatar settings on the right, and enable remote avatars and avatar uploading (you can only enable 1 if you want to).

Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:00 am

fDollar: 15 | Donate

Most of time upload from your destop :D

Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:30 pm

fDollar: 30 | Donate
how do u upload avatars for the galley i don't
see a option for that

Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:47 pm
Valued Contributor

fDollar: 432 | Donate

You cannot use Gallery avatars yet, they are looking to add this in the future.

Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:32 am

fDollar: 11 | Donate
Is it possible to create Avatar gallery?..but i'm using your forum free.

If not can't i make the avatar re-size automatically to required size?

Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:39 am